Phill Most Chill: All Cuts Recorded Raw. LP of the year.

To all intents and purposes – a few notable artisans aside – the double vinyl LP has disappeared as an artform. If something even makes it to that somewhat obsolete format these days, it’s a surprise. Bad news. Or good news if it frees up more money to spend on vintage unlistenable 1986 drum machine rap, which is how the Fat Lace famalam get down retail-wise. But the shelves still need feeding, and ours are hungry for the long-awaited ‘All Cuts Recorded Raw’ LP by Phill Most Chill, courtesy of the curators at Diggers With Gratitude.

Phill, known to some as Soulman, to some as Baritone Tiplove and to others as ‘Phill Most Chill’, is the man behind the brilliant and hard-to-find ‘On Tempo Jack’ (1988, In Effect, don’t worry there’s a reissue) and DWG’s first release, 2006’s retro-fest ‘Be Intelligent EP’ (sorry, that’s going to cost you £300). ‘All Cuts Recorded Raw’, dropping any day now, ploughs the same archives to brilliant effect. This isn’t hip-hop we’re supposed to think is good because it’s vintage – it’s amazingly good vintage hip-hop from an artist that deserved to be better known at the time. Of course, it comes with the classic DWG attention to the package. Gatefold artwork, quality vinyl, a CD with an alternative track listing. Cop yours HERE NOW and peep the cuts below – a snippet of LP track ‘Phill Most Chill on the hype tip’ and – not on the LP and a Fat Lace exclusive right now – a variant remix of ‘Pride’. Phill Most Chill? Ill.

Phill Most Chill on the Hype Tip (snippet)

Pride (Third Story Version) – unreleased exclusive

Oh, and here’s some bonus artwork for that ass as well – the ‘On Tempo Jack’ storyboard poster for people who pre-order the bundle.

7 Responses to "Phill Most Chill: All Cuts Recorded Raw. LP of the year."
  1. Reply done June 15, 2011 19:58 pm

Feeling this, I think I might shell out for it. I always heard the name bandied bout but this is the first time I heard anything by him, its great. Pride is hard as fuck.

2. Reply done June 15, 2011 19:59 pm

damn. Hope I didnt italicise the whole comment section again.

3. Reply brian beck June 16, 2011 14:11 pm

I like DWG because they’re the ones ones out those type of labels who put effort into the packaging and product.

Also, why’s it only new stuff that nobody would ever play out (Goblin etc) which comes out on wax nowadays? I want 12″s of shit like Where Do I Go? by Max B and Grove St. Party by Waka & Kebo Gotti not shit like Yonkers

4. Reply 105 names June 19, 2011 03:43 am

The dj quik LP is on double wax, prob my contender of LP of year so far. I’m waiting to see if a discogs page pops up for this Phill Most Chill LP on quadruple multi-coloured vinyl ltd. edition with some of Phill’s semen that he actually ejaculated in ’88 and saved in a jar then spalshed all over the customised hard drawn sleeve, depicting Phill’s knob, limited to only 5 copies, to be sold in a few years time by the thirsty dragon for £10,0000. Saying that, it sounds dope, and good to see they are charging a normish-ish price for it.

5. Reply 105 names June 19, 2011 04:06 am

ps. brian, where do you play out? I’d much rather hear that max b being spun rather than the first verses of loads of classic, but over played tunes, pitched up all fast like I usually here when I go out. I may be a backpacker, but I like to dance round my backpack to some fresh sh*t.

6. Reply 105 names June 19, 2011 04:33 am

pps. that waka flocka flame track is waka flocka wack.

7. Reply done June 21, 2011 18:11 pm

Cant believe I bought Goblin, im only ever gonna listen to (some of) it in edited mp3 form.

Not tryna hear disclaimers in my rap music.