Leaders Of The New School on Max ‘n’ Dave

We’ve held back on the classic hip-hop radio for a minute so we thought we’d hit you off with one of our crown jewels. On this installation of the legendary Kiss FM Max n Dave show we find L.O.N.S. post-A Future Without A Past but pre-T.I.M.E., if you follow, but it’s clear from the interview who the driving force was behind their conceptual album titles. Busta, Dinco, Charlie Brown and Cut Monitor Milo also break down the origins of the group, their ties with Public Enemy, the music industry and more.

This is fascinating listening from the Strong Island crew, especially to hear the perennially popular Busta Rhymes in his formative years. It’s clear to see why his career went stratospheric leaving his peers struggling to play catch up. It all went sour grapes a couple of years later so this is hip-hop history 101 right here and seemingly happier times for the Leaders. Max n Dave play tracks from ‘A Future Without A Past’ and we’ve given you a bonus ‘Shining Star’ taken from the Strictly Business O.S.T.

This one’s a keeper so give us some god damn dap.

Leaders Of The New School – Shining Star

Leaders Of The New School on Max n Dave

11 Responses to "Leaders Of The New School on Max ‘n’ Dave"
  1. Reply salvador darlo June 5, 2008 14:22 pm

Brilliant stuff – dap indeed!

2. Reply Dope Boy Fresh June 5, 2008 18:23 pm

“It’s just another case of that old PTA”

I used to love the LOTNS around 2000. obviously i’m a young buck (excuse the pun) in the hiphop game, but i used to run around my school signing this hook, thinking i was reckless! Great post! I love the classic radio shows! Takes me to a time and place which i wish i could have lived in and experienced…

3. Reply brian beck from wisconsin June 6, 2008 11:09 am

Cool.

4. Reply Fila my nutsack June 6, 2008 15:31 pm

anyone got shining star on a 12″? I only got that quiet pressing on the soundtrack, can’t even remember the movie name now, had paranoia by nice & smooth on there too.

5. Reply brian beck from wisconsin June 6, 2008 16:10 pm

I’ve got it on one of those Strictly 4 Tha DJ’s 2xLP comps which came out in ’99 and 2000.

Here we go : Strictly 4 Tha DJ’s Volume 4 aka The Big K.O on some label called Vinyl Resurrection.

6. Reply salvador darlo June 6, 2008 16:20 pm

Movie was ‘Strictly Business’ and it was ‘How To Flow’ by Nice and Smooth on there. Also the first time Mary was on wax with ‘You Remind Me’.

7. Reply Fila my nutsack June 8, 2008 18:16 pm

oh yeah, ‘paranoia’ was on Livin Large soundtrack wasn’t it, with a coupleof Jungle Brothers tunes tooif i recall.

8. Reply Westwood Wednesdays #9 | Fat Lace Magazine July 4, 2008 10:21 am

[…] you like that, then you’ll like THIS and […]

9. Reply SORRY BUSTA ! | Fat Lace Magazine July 4, 2008 15:58 pm

[…] HERE […]

10. Reply Gr3um5 July 5, 2008 11:13 am

I WANT A CRAZY COLLABO BETWEEN NAS, RAEWKON AND BUSTA
    ON A ERICKSERMON/DJ SCRATCH/GREENLANTERN PRODUCTION !!!
    THATZ DA SH!T !

11. Reply DreadInNY August 6, 2015 04:12 am

Can you reup this or send me a link to download?