R.I.P. KL from Screwball

Another day, another fallen soldier. KL aka Kamakazee from Screwball, one of our favourite NY crews, has passed away after an asthma attack. We’d like to send our condolences to his family and friends. Big up to Flow for upping a couple of KL classics, including his Hydra records solo sureshot ‘Snakes’, on youtube. Pour out a little liquor.

15 Responses to "R.I.P. KL from Screwball"
  1. Reply Give Thizz To Yo Kidz March 28, 2008 19:39 pm

RIP

Always been a big fan of Screwball.

2. Reply Koaste March 28, 2008 22:05 pm

RIP… Was bumping that Screwball LP today…

3. Reply Jaz March 29, 2008 00:20 am

RIP KL, I have always been a Screwball fan, man there must be an ill super group up there now.

4. Reply Robbie Coltrane aka Cracker March 29, 2008 05:54 am

No way. I’m gonna blast some Screwball too. Snakes sure is a classic. RIP Kamakazee.

5. Reply brian beck from wisconsin March 29, 2008 08:41 am

R.I.P indeed.

Screwball were one of my fav’ groups of the late 90s and we also gotta mention the earlier Kamakazee joints like On The Real and Bridge 95 too.

6. Reply Antonio March 29, 2008 10:10 am

Snakes was produced by Marley Marl, apparently…

7. Reply Aisle 12 March 29, 2008 14:50 pm

RIP KL. You will be missed.

8. Reply Fred Fence March 29, 2008 16:18 pm

Why ‘apparently’? It was produced by Marley.

9. Reply lace da booze March 29, 2008 20:58 pm

‘Spread It’ and ‘On The Real’ are classics – Rest in peace

10. Reply Antonio March 30, 2008 09:05 am

“Apparently”, because I didn’t know for sure. Now I know.

11. Reply Fred Fence March 30, 2008 09:41 am

OK! Someone told me they read an interview with Marley that said that he has a team of people that find samples and chop them into parts for him or summin, kind of help him produce, so thought you might be hinting at that when you said ‘alegedly’! Marley’s produced some ill underground tunes in the last decade, his beats are darker and harder than they were during his late 80’s phase, proper rugged ass Hip Hop. He’s put out some nice remix EP’s and also played stuff on radio that I’ve never heard anywhere, there’s a DOPE Pete Rock special I got on tape where Marley does the first beat (killer!) and then it drops into an exclusive Pete Rock beat (also killer!). Marley must have track after track after track of unreleased gems.

12. Reply brian beck from wisconsin March 30, 2008 10:05 am

K. Def alledgedly ghost-produced the bulk of Marley’s 90s output.

13. Reply The Funkologist March 30, 2008 10:33 am

Marley said it himself in the Scratch Mag interview, he got people who chop for him. 1

14. Reply barryx June 11, 2008 20:33 pm

Marley Marl is not the only major producer who has people “working” for him or doing ghost production. Regardless of that he’s down by law.
    And just so you know, Kamakazee is actually a duo comprised of KL and Solo. Both MC’s are part of Screwball, where Solo became known as Kyron.

15. Reply E. Geeziss June 26, 2008 16:10 pm