“Paul C., he got the bass pumpin”

Click here for a comprehensive mix of tracks the legendary Paul C either produced or engineered. Above a dedication to the man himself taken from Stezo’s (Steven) ‘Freak The Funk’ 12″ sleeve and one below from Eric B & Rakim’s ‘Let The Rhythm Hit Em’ LP sleeve. Mix courtesy of Blakplanit via Frank 151.

8 Responses to "“Paul C., he got the bass pumpin”"
  1. Reply met to the cee May 28, 2008 07:07 am

I heard Paul C was murdered but does anyone know why?? Dope producer.

2. Reply Big Daddy Doug May 28, 2008 07:23 am

There was an extensive article in Big Daddy a few years ago about Paul C, his production and life and untimely death (yes, he was murdered). I think the arcticle was by Dave Tompkins? Anyway, it’s the closest anyone’s come to a definitive account of Paul C’s life and what he did for hip hop. It also included a list of all the productions he had a hand in – a lot of them legendary, some a lot less well known but dope as hell – and a lot of them he wasn’t initially credited for, on account of industry bullsht and his own humble nature.

Put simply, without Mr C, there’d be no Main Source, Organized Konfusion, etc, and 90s production probably wouldn’t have been half the golden age it was.

3. Reply brian beck from wisconsin May 28, 2008 08:04 am

It’s interesting to view more obscure productions like Years To Build by Pelon as a dry-run for testing out Nautilus before he came up with a masterpiece like Let The Rhythm Hit ‘Em.

4. Reply i the t May 28, 2008 14:56 pm

i think he engineered ‘Bait’by Ultra on the Red Alert comp in 87 and that had Nautilus.

That was the first Nautilus sample I heard but I think Bam used to play it at parties or summat…

5. Reply met to the cee May 29, 2008 05:41 am

On a slightly different note, who remembers ‘No Sleep Nigel’ who engineered many great UK tracks for Blade and others ? He was R A W

6. Reply salvador darlo May 29, 2008 13:40 pm

He lives round the corner from me. Or I should say I live round the corner from him now.

7. Reply met to the cee May 29, 2008 15:35 pm

Really loved that free mix on Southern Hospitality featuring Ill Al Skratch ‘Summertime’ etc, quality summer joints Mr Darlo

8. Reply brian beck from wisconsin May 29, 2008 17:31 pm

I know someone who embarked on an internet romance with No Sleep Nigel about 5 or 6 years ago.

It didn’t last.