Rap Groups We Know Nothing About #3

el cee label

The Almighty El-Cee was born with a name ideal for hip-hop: The Almighty El-Cee. Actually, we think he was really called Leroy Lott. Of his 3 12″s, two are negligible, one an absolute must-have – ‘We Have Risen’ / ‘School’s Out’ on Supertronics from 1987. Hard beats, hard rhymes, it ain’t complicated. Yet, try as we might, we can’t find any biographical information on El-Cee/Leroy. Did he struggle at school? Did he come up hard? Did he like bees? It’s unknown. In fact, we know hella more about the producer Freddy Bastone. He was a pretty famous DJ who went on to produce and remix for the likes of Queen and Judas Priest. The only other rap joints he did, apart from El-Cee’s later records, were ‘I Rap Again’ for Mistique on Tuff City and a cut called ‘Diseases’ for Love Master Ace feat. Triple S-Fee and we’ve never even seen that. So, he’s a semi-legend with his own Wikipedia entry, and El-Cee probably works for the sanitation department pulling used tampons out of blocked drains. Unless you know different…

Listen to ‘We Have Risen’

Bump ‘School’s Out’

Damn, even John Peel was bumping it:

Or download the whole kit and kaboodle here…

14 Responses to "Rap Groups We Know Nothing About #3"
  1. Reply whut October 22, 2007 11:24 am

Was that the same Freddy Bastone who produced the hilarious ‘Dame Chocha’ LP by Pablo Toto with tracks like ‘Pablo’s Pinga’ and ‘She’s On The Rag’?

2. Reply Brian Beck From Wisconsin October 22, 2007 11:30 am

I read on CocaineBlunts that The Almighty El Cee was also an actor and was in some soap opera called Coronation Avenue )or something like that) as a character called El-Cee Tanner

Anyone confirm or deny this?

3. Reply Drew Huge October 22, 2007 11:32 am

Yep, the same Bastone who did the Pablo Toto stuff – on tuff city, right?

4. Reply whut October 22, 2007 15:11 pm

on the Smokin’ label which was part of Tuff City I think. Do you have the pablo toto LP? When I get my scanner up and running I’ll put up a pic of the photo from the back of the sleeve, it shows toto tucking into a plate of food that has cleverly (this is before photo shop don’t forget) had the ‘chocha’ from the LP title (a fanny) superimposed on it. I saw that Love Master Ace 12″ on ebay once, but it’s not THE master ace…biters.

5. Reply whut October 22, 2007 15:14 pm

ps. I heard El-Cee was originally called El-Cee-Threepio but he changed his name when Luke (Sykyywalker) the inventor of Miami Bass got a rollicking from George Lucas back in the day (as did Lucas from the crew Lucas With The Lid Off)

6. Reply whut October 23, 2007 11:52 am

pps. ‘We have risen’ is my second fave Hip Hop tune about rising after ‘risin’ to the top’ by doug fresh.

7. Reply Augusto October 26, 2007 19:15 pm

School’s out shows much resemblance to mantronix’s “who is it”

8. Reply country bumpkin October 28, 2007 16:38 pm

I used to think ‘who is it’ was ‘the wizard’ before I knew wot it was called. Mantronix was a wizard in my opinion.

9. Reply Eps December 19, 2007 04:00 am

Was’nt Almighty el-cee in the group The Ultimate 3….

10. Reply Eps December 19, 2007 20:58 pm

Just checked the names on both labels and i think i got muddled up with Mighty Mike from Ultimate 3 – Don’t know why but i always thought it was the same person.. – Think the “Mighty” bit confused me..

11. Reply c-larock December 15, 2008 11:26 am

we all need a change i our life special our country lets get this economy back on the tract

12. Reply EL-Cee November 17, 2012 15:12 pm

The Almighty El-Cee gave up rap and went on to college to receive a bachelors and 3 masters degrees and is now practicing “Sports Medicine Acupuncture”. Rap was just a hobby for him.

• Reply 101 namez November 30, 2012 17:53 pm

congrats on finding a great career. would you consider doing a new rap record about sports medicine acupuncture? I don’t even think homeboy sandman has used that concept yet.